Community Education Award Program: Atlantic CanadaCarton Council of Canada to Award Grants for Proactive Municipal Recycling Education
Carton Council of Canada Launches 2023 Community Education Award in Atlantic Canada
Up to 15 organizations in Atlantic Canada can receive $2K each for recycling education efforts that include cartons
Carton Council of Canada (CCC) today announced the launch of the organization’s third Community Education Award program developed to support and enhance recycling education in Canadian communities. In 2023, the Community Education Award program will focus on the provinces in Atlantic Canada including New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador. The first fifteen organizations to sign up for the program will be eligible to receive $2,000 each by demonstrating their proactive recycling education efforts, featuring food and beverage cartons.
Who is Eligible?
The award program is open to organizations based in Atlantic Canada that educate residents about their local recycling program. This includes:
- sorting centres (both municipal and privately-owned),
- Regional Service Commissions,
- not-for-profit organizations,
- crown agencies,
- governmental departments, and
- any other organization that has recycling education as part of its mandate.
Eligible recycling programs must accept food and beverage cartons.
Steps to Participate:
- Review the Community Education Award Program Terms and Conditions
- Fill out this online form to participate. This will ensure eligibility and that you receive communications pertaining to the award program.
Registration opens on April 21, 2023 and will close on June 19, 2023.
Steps for After You’ve Signed up to Participate:
- Ensure your website reflects Carton Council of Canada best practices when presenting cartons as a recyclable material in your program.
- Implement at least two communications activities to educate residents in which food and beverage cartons are featured. NOTE: Simply advertising your collection schedule or the list of materials accepted in your program does not qualify as a valid communication activity.
- Submit your entry by November 3, 2023, providing details of your communications activities. Submission forms will be provided to all who sign up. Participating organizations will need to demonstrate that all requirements have been met.
- After you have submitted your entry, it will be reviewed by CCC and you will be notified, confirming you have met the program requirements.
Requirement 1: Accurate website information
Community and deposit agency websites are the top place residents look to determine recyclability of a package (along with the packaging itself). While the award is focused on food and beverage cartons, we recognize the importance of education to promote recycling in general. Make sure your website accurately and clearly conveys that food and beverage cartons are accepted and should be recycled. Refer to these best practices.
Requirement 2: At least two other communications activities
You will also be asked to provide at least two other examples of communications activities conducted during the specified period (April 21 – November 3, 2023) that educate residents about recycling in general, while also prominently including cartons, or that feature cartons exclusively.
- Social Media – Provide examples of how you’ve used social media to engage with your residents and educate them on what and how to recycle, including cartons
- Communication and Promotional Items – Can include items such as direct mail, bill stuffers, bin stickers, refrigerator magnets, brochures or other similar initiatives
- Events – Virtual or in-person events designed to educate your residents
- Advertising or Public Service Announcements – Paid or donated space or time that promotes recycling
- Earned Media – Articles in your local media that promote recycling
- Other – Any other activity used to promote recycling in your local program not already described
Content may be created in either French or English and final submissions will be accepted in both languages. Participants can leverage the CCC’s Image and Ad Bank to support their efforts.
For any questions, please contact contact us.